Friday, October 15, 2010

Fall Baking

The weather has been so great in Atlanta recently…cool, low humidity and smells like fall! It’s my favorite time of year by far. This past week, I had an extra pep in my step and was in the baking mood after work. Having a crazy work schedule and rarely any weekends free, I try and make it a priority to have "me" time every once in a while to decompress! I turned on Norah Jones and started baking away...

I had recently seen 2 recipe posts on Bakin’ and Eggs that I knew I wanted to try. They were fall-inspired and looked divine :)

The first one I made was Pumpkin Apple Muffins. I figured they would be a perfect snack or an easy breakfast to grab while running out the door. I had a few of the ingredients already but had to run out and get a few more things.



I got all my ingredients ready:


Started mixing...


put them in the oven...


and ta daaaaa! THEY WERE AMAZING!


Pumpkin Apple Muffins
(Recipe heavily adapted from The Gourmet Cookbook)

Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Very small pinch of cloves (1/8 teaspoon)
1/2 (of a 15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
Extra brown sugar and cinnamon to sprinkle over the muffins before baking

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 12-cup muffin tin with liners (or cooking spray).

In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. In a separate medium bowl, mix together pumpkin, oil, applesauce, sugar and eggs. Add wet mixture to flour mixture and stir until combined. Fold in apples.

Divide batter between muffin tins, filling about 3/4 (or a tad more) full. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over the tops of muffins. Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Muffins will keep for 3-5 days out or freeze well for a couple of months.

Yield: 12 muffins
___________________________________________________________________

The second recipe I tried were PumpkinChocolate Chip Bars. I personally think they should be called "Heaven in your mouth" because they were THAT good!

Once again, I got all the ingredients ready and started mixing away.

Fresh out the oven...


And ready to serve... (I brought them to work and people could not stop raving about them- definite crowd pleaser!)


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars
(Recipe heavily adapted from Martha Stewart)

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon pumpkin-pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cups brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin puree (make sure you’re using 100% pumpkin and not pumpkin pie mix)
1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9 x 13 baking dish by lining it with aluminum foil, shiny side down, leaving about a 1-inch overhang on the edges. Grease foil (I like to use the wrapper from the butter).

In a bowl, mix together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugars on medium-high for about 3 minutes, until lightened in color and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla until just combined. Beat in pumpkin puree. Reduce speed to low and slowly mix in flour mixture until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

Pour batter into prepared pan and spread to ensure it’s even. Bake until the edges begin to pull away from the foil and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. About 35-40 minutes.

Let cool in pan. Once cool, lift foil from pan and cut squares.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, looks good! Are you going to bring any of these to girls weekend?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee - so happy that everything turned out well for you! I have been in such a fall baking mood lately too! Yum!

    ReplyDelete